Thursday, February 6, 2014

Balsamic Roasted Veggies with Quinoa and Lentils

This is one of the best things I have ever made.  I wanted something meatless (not going vegetarian, I just like to have some meals that don’t contain meat), packed with protein, fiber and healthy fats, and would be tasty and satisfying.  And I am so excited this worked.  I found it to be absolutely delicious, and had no idea that combining Greek yogurt with lemon juice and goat cheese would be so decadently delicious.  This can also be used as a side dish, if you can't go without meat :)
I know goat cheese isn’t everyone’s favorite, but if you are ever going to try it, this would be the time to do it.  I absolutely love goat cheese, but I do remember the first time I had it I wasn’t sold.  I needed to try it paired with different things.  It is now my very favorite cheese.  I put it in salads, pair it with fruits, put it on chicken, on pizza, in mashed potatoes, and mashed with my avocado and spread it on toast.  But enough about my love of goat cheese…
Now back to the recipe at hand… I ate this warm when I first made it, but also had it cold for lunch the next day and it was great!  I love the flavors, and how it was easy to make.  I actually put the veggies in the oven to roast, got a strength training workout in, and was done in time for the oven buzzer!  If you are looking for vegetarian meals, just to switch things up every now and then, Meatless Mondays meals, or as a nice side dish, you should try this.

Balsamic Roasted Veggies with Quinoa and Lentils (4 servings)
Ingredients:
3 Zucchini, quartered and cut into chunks
1 eggplant, cut into chunks (peel on)
2 red peppers, seeded and cut into chunks
Olive Oil Cooking Spray (I use my Misto)
Salt and Pepper
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup cooked lentils
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
½ onion chopped
1 tsp dry basil
¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
½ cup crumbled goat cheese
Juice of 1 lemon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Arrange veggies in a roasting pan or roasting dishes (I had to use two large as it seems like so many veggie chunks before cooked).  Spray veggies well with the olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast until browned and tender, about 35 minutes.  Transfer all veggies to a large bowl and immediately add the vinegar and combined.
(You can do this next step while the veggies are cooking or after)
In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil and add the onions.  Cook for about 6 minutes until translucent.  Mix in the cooked quinoa and lentils.  (I always have cooked quinoa in my fridge, if you do not, you can make it fresh, and you can use organic canned lentils).  Combine.

In a small bowl, add the Greek yogurt, goat cheese, lemon juice and dried basil, stir.

Divide lentil/quinoa mixture among 4 bowls and top with veggies and yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment