Monday, October 21, 2013

Recipe - Easy Tomato Soup

I love soup.  To me it’s like the perfect meal.  You can add anything you want to it.  It pretty much cooks itself.  And you can make big batches and freeze it.  I have wanted to make a homemade, clean tomato soup for a while, because I knew that would be very filling, but very low calorie, so it could be paired with some bread, or a sandwich, or some Ciabatta bread with Asiago cheese (yum).  So I made this batch in my trusty dutch oven (or you can do this in a soup pot or just a large pot).  You will need either an immersion blender or a regular blender to make this soup.  I hope you like it!

Ingredients –
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp or 2 cloves of minced garlic
10 plum tomatoes
1 tbsp of fresh tarragon leaves or 1 tsp or dried tarragon
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (chicken broth can also be used)
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper

Directions –

In your pot heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Add the onions and garlic, cook about 5 minutes until they begin to soften and brown.  Cut the tomatoes in large chunks and add to the pot.  Add the tarragon.  Sauté tomatoes for 5 minutes.  Add the broth.  Add the seasonings. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Use immersion blender or transfer soup to blender in batches.

For a creamy texture, add 4 oz of cream cheese, or ½ cup of heavy cream.

Nutritional Info (5 servings)    (not including the cream cheese or heavy cream)

Calories – 59
Fat – 3
Carbs – 8
Protein – 0
Fiber - 2

I forgot to grab a picture of the finished product cause I wanted to eat it :)  But this is a pic of before I blended it.

No comments:

Post a Comment