Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Recipe - Penne Ala Stef (the clean and almost clean versions)

So I was thinking about this time I used to bartend at an Italian place and I used to have their pasta with Rosa sauce.  I have been craving that so much, but know that it is a very dense, calorie and fat heavy dish.  That made me want to look into a similar tasting sauce that was clean and lighter.  I found a clean version, but it just didn’t taste like what I wanted.  I used rice milk to make it creamy, but it was just very watery.  Because I like to eat clean at a 90/10 lifestyle, I figured I would try the recipe once with heavy cream and again with light cream cheese, since everything else in the recipe is clean.  If you are looking for delicious and more traditional, and not saving on fat and calories, I would go with the heavy cream, as it tastes AMAZING!  If you are trying to cut down on the fat and calories, go with the light cream cheese.  I have posted the nutritional info for both versions, but beware this is not a “diet” meal, but it is delicious and a treat.  The recipe remains the same, regardless of what cream item you use. 
This recipe yields 6 servings if pairing with shrimp or a piece of chicken breast (any protein really), and that is what I have the calorie counts for.  If you would like to make the pasta a main course, you could yield 4 servings.

Ingredients
1 pound Whole Wheat Penne Pasta (1 package)
1 (15 oz) can Organic Tomato Sauce
½ cup heavy cream or ½ block of light cream cheese
½ cups chopped onion
1 tsp minced garlic
½ cup low sodium chicken stock/broth or ½ cup dry white wine (if you prefer)
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp butter

Directions

Cook pasta according to package directions (usually 10-12 minutes in salted boiling water)

While the pasta is cooking, add butter and olive oil to large skillet.  Add onions and garlic and sauté about 3 minutes.  Add chicken stock/broth to skillet and cook for about 1-2 minutes.  Add the can of tomato sauce and stir.  Then add your heavy cream or cream cheese and stir until incorporated.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  At this time you can also add some fresh or dried herbs if you would like.  I added fresh parsley and dried basil.

Add drained pasta to skillet and toss with the sauce.   Top with fresh grated parmesan.  Both versions were delicious!  (Nutritional Info Below)

Using Cream Cheese –  (6 servings)
Calories – 370
Fat – 8
Carbs – 63
Protein – 13
Fiber – 8
Using Heavy Cream –
Calories – 519
Fat – 20
Carbs – 68
Protein -13
Fiber - 9


 

No comments:

Post a Comment