Thursday, January 23, 2014

Clean Eating Pot Roast Made Crock Pot Easy

I had never liked Pot Roast as a kid, or as a teen, or even as an early adult.  But a funny thing happens when you start cooking for pleasure and trying new tastes and textures, because now I love it!  I think for me it was always the texture of the meat.  I don’t usually like beef done anything more than medium, and well a pot roast is simmered, so it tends to get well done.  But it is so tender and I have learned to like that.  This recipe was really simple, but the slow cooking takes some time.  You can throw it in the crockpot early in the am, and finish up just before it’s time to eat.
You can omit the potatoes and serve them on the side, or with mashed cauliflower, but I really liked them in there.  I didn’t put amounts for the seasonings, as I just eyeballed it.  Maybe start with a tsp of each.
Ingredients –

2-3 lbs Roast or Chuck Beef or Brisket (I used a Roast)
2 celery stalks, sliced in 4’s
½ bag baby carrots
6 red potatoes (quartered)
2 onions (sliced)
3 cups (24 oz) low sodium beef broth
8 oz mushrooms
Salt
Pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp water

Directions –

Place celery, onions, carrots, mushrooms and potatoes in the crock pot.  Season the beef and place it on top of veggies and pour in the broth.  Add some more seasoning to the veggies.  Pour the Worcestershire sauce on the beef.  Set crock pot on low for 9- 10 hours.

At the end of the slow cooking, move your beef to a cutting board.  I drained my veggies, reserving the broth in a deep sauté pan.  Add the cornstarch to the water and once dissolved add it to the broth.  Once the sauce has thickened, add the veggies.  Slice your beef and top with the veggies and gravy.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment