Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Homestyle Chicken and Noodles

I’m pretty sure I promised you this recipe last week, so I am very sorry for the delay.  The Holidays had me in a fog and I didn’t really post much.  That is changing because I have more nights free and lots of cooking to do and recipes to share!! 
The recipe here for my Homestyle Chicken and Noodles is delicious and nutritious, and very easy to make…if you crockpot (or boil, bake, etc) your chicken beforehand.  I tend to throw a pound or 2 of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot on a Sunday.  Shred them and keep them in the fridge.  This recipe calls for 3 cups of the shredded chicken.  Also note that if you want Chicken Noodle Soup, rather than a thick, creamy pasta dish, just add 4 more cups of stock/broth!  It’s easy and versatile!!!

Ingredients –
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
32 oz Chicken broth (1 box or use your own homemade stock.  I used Trader Joe’s Organic Low-Sodium when I don’t have any homemade stock available)
2 large carrots peeled and sliced
2 celery stalks sliced
1 large onion, diced
2 tsp dried thyme
3 cups of cooked chicken, shredded or diced
½  pound whole wheat pasta
½ cup grated parmesan cheese (real stuff preferably, not the oily canned junk)


Directions –
In a Dutch Oven or Stock pot, drizzle the olive oil.  Add the Mirepoix (haha, gotcha, I learned a new word).  This would be the carrots, onions and celery.  Sauté until tender (about 6 minutes).  Add the stock and bring to a boil.
Stir in the chicken and the uncooked noodles.  Cover the pot and turn it down to a simmer.  Simmer for 30 minutes (stirring occasionally).  Add the parmesan cheese and serve.

Easy peasy!!! (oooh you can add peas too if you would like J)

No comments:

Post a Comment