Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Clean Eating Chocolate Covered Strawberries

I signed up to make something for a really important bake sale.  But as someone who cooks clean, I don't really bake clean, or dirty for that matter :)  I am a cook, not a baker.  But this event holds a special place in my heart.  If you follow my personal facebook you know that my friend Courtney's cousin, Jeff, was one of those severly injured in the Boston Marathon bombings.  We had a wonderful turnout for the fundraiser on May 26, and we still had the Chili's (Mays Landing) Give Back Day (which donated 10% of every check for people who bring in a flyer for the event, to Jeff's fund).  Along with the Give Back Day, Chili's was allowing employees to do a bakesale, with all proceeds going to the fund.  Courtney, like myself works there 2 days a week, and we are fortunate that we have a pretty great management staff allowing this.
Alas, I signed up, but had no idea what to make.  At first I thought I would make regular cookies or cupcakes, as I would not be eating them.  Then I got to thinking about practicing what I preach and thought about making a clean dessert.  There are a lot of options out there online, which is great, but just like baking anything else, there is a lot of time and prep involved, and I knew I didn't have a lot of time.  I started thinking about fruit, and thought Chocolate Covered Strawberries...perfect!!

This, by far, is the easiest recipe I will ever post.  I always thought it would be complicated or messy to make Chocolate Covered Strawberries, but I was wrong, it is simple.  I wanted to make them clean eating, but didn't think it was possible with a semi-sweet chocolate, I thought I would have to use dark bakers chocolate, or something too bitter against the sweetness of the strawberry, but again I was wrong (I usually don't like being wrong, except in these situations lol).
I found that Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips are clean, as they don't contain soy lethicin, found in most chocolate chips (like Hershey's or Nestle), so I was thrilled.  These are also nut free, gluten free, dairy free and soy free.  But one thing they are not free of is taste!  I thought for sure this chocolate would be like fake chocolate, but during the melt process I got a little on my finger and licked it off.  Oh boy!!!  It was goood!!!
Needless to say I may have accidentally, on purpose, messed one of the strawberries up so that I could taste it.  Sorry, not sorry!!

This recipe consists of 3 ingredients. 

1 (10 oz) bag of Enjoy Life mega chunks chocolate chips, semi-sweet
1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
2 pints of strawberries (this recipe yielded about 34, ok originally 35, strawberries)



(Mind you the chocolate and oil I use were used because they were clean.  If you are making a batch and don't care that they are clean, by all means use another brand of chocolate chips and vegetable oil.)

For this recipe, you will want to invest in parchment paper (found by the tin foil and plastic wrap).  Lay a piece of that on a baking sheet that will fit in your fridge.  You can't use plastic wrap, as it will leave lines in your chocolate, or tin foil because it will stick.  I highly recommend the parchment paper (Or a silicon sleeve if you own one).

If you have a double boiler, or fondue pot, or even a microwave (isn't it the law to have one of those in the 21st century?) that's perfect.  I make my own double boiler by placing a med-large pyrex glass dish on top of a medium pot filled halfway with water.  I dump the bag of chocolate and the coconut oil into the dish.  I then stir until all of the chocolate is melted.
Make sure you wash and pat dry your strawberries.  Hold each strawberry by the stem and roll it around in the chocolate.  When you bring it up allow the chocolate to drip off before laying it on your parchment paper.  When you are done dipping all of the strawberries, place the baking sheet in the fridge for at least a 1/2 hour.  All done!  And so delicious!!  I also recommend pineapple or Jerry's whole wheat pretzels ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment