Thursday, June 20, 2013

Recipe - Chicken Sausage with potatoes and summer vegetables!

Hey guys, I know I haven't blogged in over a week, but I have been adjusting to an increase in my thyroid medication, and lets just say it was not easy.  I felt horrible!!!  Lethargic, massive headaches.  Didn't feel like cooking (say what???!!!!!????).  But I seem to be on the upswing, so instead of uninspired meals and boring lunches, I got back to the kitchen last night for something tasty.
Many have asked what is in the profile picture on my Facebook page, and this is it.  The recipe was inspired by Skinnytaste.com, and it was basically already a clean dish, so I didn't have to clean it up.  The only think I did differently was my sausage .  I used Al Fresco Chicken Sausage with Red Pepper and Asiago.  While pre-cooked and packaged, the ingredients were all pronouncable and real.  I prefer the taste of this sausage, but if you want to cook your own that is absolutely perfect (some like sweet italian, some like hot italian, I prefer a flavorful mild).

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb baby red potatoes, cut in half or quartered
  • 2 tsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • fresh cracked pepper
  • 12 oz Al Fresco Red Pepper and Asiago chicken sausage, sliced 1-inch thick
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4-5 cloves garlic, smashed with the side of the knife or 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 orange bell pepper, diced 1-inch squares
  • 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced 1-inch squares 
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced 1-inch squares
  • 2 tbsp fresh rosemary (or other fresh herb such as thyme)
  • 2 cups zucchini, 1/2 inch thick and quartered
Directions:
Place oil and potatoes in a large, deep non-stick skillet with a tight fitting lid on high heat; season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. When the skillet gets hot and starts to sizzle, reduce heat to low and cook with a tight lid on for about 20-25 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent the potatoes from burning. Remove from heat and let them sit 5 minutes without removing the lid.  Set potatoes aside on a dish.


Add the sausage to the skillet and saute on medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally until browned but not quite cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season chopped vegetables with salt and pepper. Add onions, peppers, garlic and rosemary to the skillet and mix. Continue cooking stirring occasionally until onions and peppers become slightly browned. Add zucchini and cook an additional 5 minutes, mixing as it cooks until cooked through.


Return the potatoes back to the skillet and mix well. Adjust salt and pepper as needed; cover and cook 5 more minutes.

Delicious!!!  It's one of my favorite dishes, because the veggies make it light, but the potatoes are filling.


No comments:

Post a Comment