Monday, June 24, 2013

Recipe - Italian Stuffed Peppers

Hello!  So last Thursday I decided to mix a bunch of stuff together and put it into a pepper and eat it.  When I told my sister what I did she said "oh that's stuffed peppers."  We didn't eat stuffed peppers in my house growing up, so I never knew what was in them.  Yes, I had heard of them, even did a recipe for them with quinoa, but I did not know what the exact criteria were for stuffed peppers.  Apparently my subconscious did though, because I found that what I made on Thursday was almost exactly what the traditional stuffed pepper recipe would be.  So no culinary genius here, but nonetheless I am sharing my recipe because it tasted really good.  And I may be helping anyone out there who was as clueless as me when it came to stuffed peppers!

Ingredients -

Olive Oil Misto Spray
4 Bell Peppers (whatever color you would like)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb of extra lean ground beef, grass-fed ground beef, or organic ground beef
2/3 can organic tomato sauce
1 cup brown rice
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1 cup mozzarella
Salt and pepper

Directions -
Preheat over to 400 degrees.  I slice my peppers in half,  lengthwise and remove seeds.  Spray with olive oil spray and put in the oven for 10 minutes.

While the peppers are in the oven, spray olive oil spray into skillet and saute onions over med-high heat.  Once onions are translucent add beef and brown.  Once beef is browned, add tomato sauce, all spices, salt and pepper, and rice and mix well.

Remove peppers from oven and let cool slightly (enough to handle).  Fill peppers with beef mixture, top with mozzarella cheese and cook in 400 degree overn for 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment