Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Day 28 recap...and a note about the Irish Colcannon

So we're winding down on this 30-day challenge, and I'm kind of glad, because I feel like I am taking so much time posting what I ate, rather than sharing with you all the wonderful foods and recipes...and my thoughts and how I feel, etc.  We will get to that on this blog once this 30-day challenge is complete.  I suppose on Thursday I will have a round-up blog to discuss everything I experienced through these 30-days.  What was easy, what was hard, if I lost any weight, how I will incorporate fitness into my daily life outside of the challenge, etc.  I'm looking forward to writing that blog.  For now, I leave you with my recap of Day 28...meaning today I am on Day 29, and this challenge is complete as of 7:00 p.m. tomorrow evening!!  (after Zumba of course lol)

Breakfast - leftover feta salad (it's what I felt like eating lol)
Snack - 11 raw almond and 5 dried organic turkish apricots
Lunch - salad of veggies and tuna with basalmic vinegar and olive oil
Snack - 1 brown rice cake with olive brushetta
Dinner - 4 oz flank steak with sweet potato colcannon (sort of)
Snack - cup of Kale Crisps (I made using the uncooked kale from dinner)

About the Irish Colecannon - if you don't know what Irish Colcannon is, you have been severely deprived (I'm kidding, but really).  Since I am the middle child of 2 born and raised Irish folk, I was given this deliciousness often.  It is never made as a first night's dinner, it is the product of the leftovers of a good Corned Beef and Cabbage or Ham and Cabbage dinner.  I prefer the corned beef to the ham, but that's primarily because I don't eat much pork.  Anyway, the day after a delicious dinner of CB/Ham and Cabbage with Mashed Potatoes you take all of the leftovers and mix them together (yes, the meat, cabbage and mash) and put them in a frying pan.  Let the bottom crisp a little bit and flip them over (it falls apart, but that's ok) and basically, you have your colcannon.  Is it traditionally Irish, I don't know, I'd have to ask my folks, but it's all I ever knew of Colcannon.  So I saw on www.thegraciouspantry.com that she had a recipe for Irish Colcannon, but using sweet potatoes, kale, leaks and light coconut milk to mash the potatoes.
This was absolutely NOT Irish Colcannon, or anything in the realm of Colcannon.  But it was tasty ;)
First of all, by adding the coconut milk to the mash potatoes, they became extremely liquidy, not at all the texture of true mashed potatoes, therefore, would not brown in the pan.  I was also missing the flavor of the cabbage.  Kale doesn't really omit the same flavor and texture (even when reduced) that cabbage does.  But all in all, it was a very tasty side dish, but I would never, ever call it colcannon.  So I do thank the Gracious Pantry for the recipe.  Now I am determined to find a way to make a colcannon on my own, but clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment