Friday, May 3, 2013

RECIPE - Salisbury Steak and Cauliflower Puree

I had not planned out what I was having for dinner when I woke up yesterday, but I knew I was safe enough because I had lean ground beef and chicken defrosted in the refridgerator.  I happened to check my email at somepoint in the early afternoon, and in an email from ziplist recipes was a recipe for Salisbury Steak in mushroom sauce from Skinnytaste.com.  This sounded interesting.  I took a look at it, and for the most part it was very healthy, though I wanted to make it absolutely clean.  So I had to make my own breadcrumbs, but honestly, that took 3 minutes...the hardest part about it is putting the food processor in the dishwasher!

Within the recipe on Skinnytaste was a recipe for cauliflower puree, which is such a healthy substitute for mashed potatoes, and what goes better with Salisbury Steaks than mashed potatoes!!!  (Maybe a good mac and cheese, but I'm from an Irish family, we always think potatoes first!)

The inspiration comes from Skinnytaste.com, so I have provided the link, as you may be eating leaner, but not clean and want to take it straight from there.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/skinny-salisbury-steak-with-mushroom.html

How I changed it up was I cut the recipe in half, as far as the meat and what goes in the meat.  I used only lean ground beef.  I made the same amount of gravy as her recipe calls for.  I also made my own breadcrumbs.  Even with my little changes, this is completely Gina's recipe (from Skinnytaste), and I thank her so much for it.  If you are eating clean, here is my recipe for homemade breadcrumbs, and you should be able to follow Gina's recipe for the rest!
Also, if you are not a fan of mushrooms, you can make the gravy without, just maybe add a little extra flour to thicken it...Or use onions or peppers, it's versatile!

Homemade breadcrumbs (makes about a cup)

2 slices clean, whole wheat bread (I used my TJ's tuscan pane)
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder

Toast the bread in your toaster, make sure you give it a good toast, very crispy, but not burnt.
Let it cool for a few minutes, then break it up into your food processor or blender.  Add the other ingredients and pulse until the desired consistency.  There you have it, super easy!  And these bread crumbs can be freezed for up to 6 months!



For the cauliflower puree, I had also gotten this recipe from Gina (Skinnytaste), but over a year ago.  It is really a great substitution for mashed potatoes.  The texture is the same, though the cauliflower can be a little looser.  Obviously they don't taste 100% the same, but since cauliflower is one of my favorite veggies, I don't mind at all.  It's worth trying to trick someone :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/03/creamy-cauliflower-puree.html

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.  The flavor of the steaks and gravy was so good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment