Thursday, April 11, 2013

Homemade Hummus - Recipe

I don't know about you, but I LOVE hummus.  It's a low fat, high fiber, high protein, filling snack...what could be better!  I have always bought my hummus from the store, because I thought it would be tiresome to make at home, but I was very wrong!  And by making it at home I don't have to eat potasium sorbate and "natural flavors."  What exactly are "natural flavors?"  I swear that is the one question I yearn most for the answer to!  So here is my recipe for homemade hummus.  This is just plain hummus, you can obviously add anything you want to it, I plan to try roasted red pepper, artichokes, spinach, roasted garlic....I could list all day!

Ingredients -

2  - (15 oz) cans of organic chick peas (garbanzo beans)  - Shoprite has a store brand, which is great cause they are maybe 10 cents more than the non-organic, which have preservatives.
1/2 cup tahini (jars of tahini are found by the pickles and relish, and are just a ground sesame paste)
1 lemon, juiced
3 garlic cloves
water, to attain desired consistency

Directions -

Put chick peas, tahini, lemon juice and garlic in a food processor or blender.  Blend on high (you may need to stop it and spoon down some of the chickpeas).  It should be really thick, so pour just a bit of water in and blend.  Add water until you reach your desired consistency (I like it thick!)  I topped with some paprika.

Serve with baby carrots, homemade tortilla chips, celery, etc.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy I am absolutely gonna try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out really good, Jess! I impressed myself! Lol

    ReplyDelete