Monday, April 15, 2013

Recipe - Chicken Sausage, Peppers and Onions

Friday morning I made a trip to the Williamstown Farmers Market.  This was my first time there and I was pleasantly surprised.  It's not your typical (city) farmers market as it was indoors (which was good because it was pouring rain all day).  I was able to buy spices, seasonings, nuts, and flours at really good prices, much better than Whole Foods or my local grocery store.  They also had fresh meats, a complete beef and pork butcher and a poultry butcher.  I didn't really buy much as far as the meats, because I was already pretty stocked up, but something peaked my interest at the poultry butcher.  They had fresh spinach and feta stuffed chicken sausage.  Of course I asked them a bunch of questions on how it was made (processed?) and I found that the chicken was cage free farm raised, steroid free, and ground on the premises.  As well as stuffed and cased.  So I bought 2 links (about a half pound) to try it.  I was really excited so I had to make it that evening.  I don't eat much pork (only bacon every now and then), so I am not used to cooking sausage, though I have had Al Fresco's brand chicken sausage (which is pre-cooked, you just have to heat it up, and that was very yummy).

I decided on Sausage, Peppers and Onions, over brown rice (I did not feel like a tomato base, as I really wanted to taste the spinach and feta).

Ingedients - (For 2 servings, adjust the ingredients for more servings)

1/2 pound chicken sausage
1 orange bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1 onion
1 tbsp olive oil (2 tsp for veggies, 1 tsp for sausage)
salt and pepper to taste

Slice veggies 1/2 inch thick and saute in 2 tsp ofolive oil until they reach the firmness you like.  Meanwhile saute the sausage in a separate pan until cooked through.  Combined the sausage and the veggies and cook for another 2 minutes on medium heat.  I served mine over brown rice, but choose any whole grain you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment