Thursday, April 11, 2013

Seasoned Flank Steak Recipe

When I cook at home I usually make chicken, veggies, pasta, etc.  I hardly ever make steak or fish out of fear I'll pay good $$ for it and screw it up.  I usually reserve those dishes for when I eat out.  But since I am not eating out for 30 days, I decided to try to make a steak at home.
I have not had a chance to get to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods (the closest are 45 minutes from my town), so I relied on Shoprite (within walking distance of my home) to find some organic beef.  I was lucky enough to find that they sell a brand that turned out really good.  Clayton's Organic Beef Flank Steak.  Since I cook for only 1, I just bought a half pound (Was $7.99 a pound, so this cost me almost $4.00, which isn't so bad for me because I got 2 meals out of it).



Ingredients -

.5 to 1 pound flank steak
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
kosher salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

Directions -

Trim visible fat from steak (on a flank steak you won't find much).  Pour 1 tsp olive oil on steak and massage.  Add 1/2 of all seasoning to meat.  Heat a grill pan or your outdoor grill until it's hot.  Put seasoned side of flank steak down.  Rub oil and remainder of seasoning to the side of the steak that is facing up.  Cook 2 minutes each side, then let rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes (this is for medium rare, cook 3 minutes each side for medium and 4 minutes each side for well).  Slice steak against the grain.

This was the result of last night's dinner.  I served 4 oz of steak with a medium sweet potato and 1 cup of roast broccoli.



And I used the leftovers for lunch the next day, serving it over mixed greens, veggies, sunflower seeds and olive oil and balsalmic vinegar.












No comments:

Post a Comment