Monday, April 15, 2013

Recipe - Lean Ground Turkey Stir-fry over Quinoa

This recipe makes me laugh, because it turned out that not being prepared for dinner turned into something quite delicious!  I had planned to make something completely different, but forgot to put the main ingredient from the freezer to the refridgerator to defrost.  So since I had lean ground turkey (99% fat free) already defrosted, I decided to come up with something as I went along.

****A product side note here.  It is very hard to find organic ground turkey, but I am very happy to note that Perdue sells ground turkey and chicken that is cage free, vegetarian diet, non-hormonal, and very close to fitting my bill of clean eating.  And they are no more expensive than regular ground beef or grocery store brands.  (bonus when they are on sale!)

Ok, so continuing this story, I realized I also had some zucchini and yellow squash and though it could be interesting mixed together with the turkey, and I could put it over quinoa.  So I got the quinoa going in the rice cooker, and the turkey browning in a pan on the stove.  Veggies are diced, plus an onion.  So I decide to saute the onion first, as I like them a bit carmelized, and if cooked with the zucchini and squash (which have a lot of moisture) they won't carmelize.  I then add the veggies to the onions.  I am looking at the turkey and thinking, this is going to be really dry.  So I grab my handy organic, low sodium veggie broth from the fridge, and add 1/2 cup to the turkey, along with a tbsp of whole wheat flour and whisk.  This creates a bit of a sauce.  Once the veggies are cooked, I add them to the turkey meat and splash a little more veggie broth.  This was really a fly by the seat of my pants meal.  It also did not look at all appetizing and its texture was a bit mushy, but the flavor was really excellent.  Think Hamburger Helper texture.  I guess if I cooked the veggies a little less there would have been some crunch, but I like my squash a little soft.  So that the "how to", and here are the ingredients:

3 tsp olive oil (divided - 1 tsp to brown turkey and 2 tsp to cook veggies)
1 lb lean ground turkey
salt and pepper
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1 large onion
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (plus couple splashes) veggie broth

Serve over quinoa, brown rice, millet, couscous...your choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment